Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Lemon Chicken Flatbread Wraps


 
Ok, so I go on and on with every recipe I post, but that's only because I only post the best recipes!! Or at least I try to! Some are too yummy not to post. And this is definitely one of them!! First, the kids looked at the greens and tomatoes and said, "yuck!" I have been trying to train them not to say rude things about dinner, especially when they haven't even tried it yet!! Lately, I have been cooking very healthy, and that is often their first reaction. And then, their second reaction is "yum!!!!" And then Ruth will say, "you're my best Mommy ever" or "I'm your biggest fan!" So, they are adapting :)

I think Tad said this was one of his favorite meals. It was amazing. And I have to remember this recipe for this summer, because it was such a nice, refreshing, not-hot meal!! The chicken is cooked, but you could do that ahead of time. I used my grill pan that I plug in, so it didn't heat up the kitchen, either!! Can't wait to make this again!!



Lemon Chicken Flatbread Wraps
The Cozy Apron

Ingredients:
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
Olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
Pinch or two of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon paprika
4 middle eastern-style flatbreads (or pita bread, I used naan)
Arugula greens (or spinach would do fine)
Sliced tomatoes
Spicy Garlic Sauce (recipe below)

Directions:

1. Place the cubed chicken into a medium-sized bowl, and drizzle in about 2 tablespoons of olive oil; add in the garlic, plus the remainder of ingredients up to and including the paprika, and using your hands, toss all of the seasonings/spices very well to coat the chicken.

2. Using 4 bamboo skewers, skewer the chicken so that there is equal portions of meat on each skewer, and allow the chicken to marinate for about 20 minutes, or even overnight, if making ahead. (I skipped the bamboo skewers, made the marinade, and let it marinate for a few hours.)

3. When ready to grill, place a grill pan over medium-high heat (or you could use your outdoor grill, I used my inside grill pan), and drizzle in a little olive oil; once the oil gets hot, place the chicken skewers into the pan, and cook them for about 6-8 minutes, turning them occasionally so that they get a bit charred on all sides, or until cooked through; allow them to rest, lightly covered with foil, for about 5-10 minutes, then, remove the chicken cubes from the skewers and set aside.

4. To put the flatbreads together, add a little drizzle of the Spicy Garlic Sauce onto the flatbread, followed by the greens, then, add a couple slices of tomato, and about one skewer-worth of the lemon chicken; drizzle over a generous amount of the Spicy Garlic Sauce, and fold the sides towards the middle to form a wrap!!

Spicy Garlic Sauce

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream, or plain Greek yogurt
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon tahini
2-3 teaspoons sriracha, or more, to taste
1 teaspoon of salt
Pinch black pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

1. Add all ingredients to a medium-size bowl, and whisk together until completely smooth and creamy; use immediately, or keep in the fridge, covered. (The creator of this recipe says she puts hers into a plastic squeeze bottle so that she can use the leftovers for dips and sandwiches. My husband used it as fry dip and other stuff throughout the week; he loved it!!)

Enjoy!! And I know you will!



No comments:

Post a Comment